The mountain of God Zeus
Private Tours only
1-3 persons: from 145€
4-8 persons: from 75€
There’s a reason why the local inhabitants attributed the highest peak of the Cyclades to the god Zeus – or Mount Zas, as it is known in Greece. Overlooking the island cluster in all its glory, Mount Zas stands at 1004 meters (3294 feet) above sea level, and is home to many ruins of locals’ former activities that you will come across as you hike your way up through typical Cycladic landscapes. One of its surprises is an ancient rock inscription ΟΡΟΣ ΔΙΟΣ ΜΗΛΩΣΙΟΥ which proudly refers to Zeus and his mountain. As you stop to rest on the way and catch your breath, you’ll be rewarded with the stunning vistas of the Aegean Sea. The hike will lead you up an old footpath which connects the church of Agia Marina – or Saint Marina – to the mountain’s summit, unveiling fascinating Mediterranean species of fauna and flora on our route. Great views of the sea and surrounding islands will follow you for much of the way.
There’s a reason why the local inhabitants attributed the highest peak of the Cyclades to the god Zeus – or Mount Zas, as it is known in Greece. Overlooking the island cluster in all its glory, Mount Zas stands at 1004 meters (3294 feet) above sea level, and is home to many ruins of locals’ former activities that you will come across as you hike your way up through typical Cycladic landscapes. One of its surprises is an ancient rock inscription ΟΡΟΣ ΔΙΟΣ ΜΗΛΩΣΙΟΥ which proudly refers to Zeus and his mountain. As you stop to rest on the way and catch your breath, you’ll be rewarded with the stunning vistas of the Aegean Sea.
The hike will lead you up an old footpath which connects the church of Agia Marina – or Saint Marina – to the mountain’s summit, unveiling fascinating Mediterranean species of fauna and flora on our route. Great views of the sea and surrounding islands will follow you for much of the way.
Moderate to Demanding
4+ hours (plus the driving time 1+h)
Comfortable clothing, hiking or training shoes, hat and backpack
Not recommended on very windy days
• Flexible starting time
• Certified guide/narrator
• Guided tour around included sights and spots of interest
• Bottled water, bio local refreshment and snacks
• All taxes
• Personal expenses
DeparturePlease arrive by 9:15 AM for a prompt departure at 9:30 AM.
Departure TimeApproximately 8:30 PM.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and warm jacket.
Points of interest
Mt Zas is the highest summit in the entire Cyclades region, reaching a height of 1004 metres and is located south east of the village of Filoti. At the foot of the mountain, the area is of great nature beauty, covered with terraces with olive trees. Reaching closer to the summit the slopes are rocky and it was used for live stock for centuries. The summit offers the most breathtaking view of the Aegean Sea and the neighboring islands of Cyclades.
- When can we hike: From April to November, you book your tour the most convenient date of your trip. We recommend the most suitable starting time regarding the hike’s duration and the weather conditions (temperature, wind, etc).
- Transportation: As long as we must follow COVID-19 health protocols, transfer from your accommodation and return back, can be arranged from us with an extra cost. Transfers are conducted by taxi or a minivan.
- Food & Drink: We recommend that you have a good breakfast at your hotel prior to the tour. We provide bottle water, bio refreshment and snacks of local products. We also provide a complementary meal in some of our tours. Experience – Preparation: No hiking experience is required, however you should be in good physical condition and have no hindering medical issues; you should also carry with you any medication might have been prescribed. Hiking shoes or training shoes (e.g. running shoes) are required in the hikes. Generally, hiking/training shoes are recommended. Preferably you should have a backpack. Hats and sun-protection lotion are always necessary, long sleeve t-shirts are preferred. Inform us about allergies, injuries or any other health issues that need to be attended.
- Safety: Naxos Trekking tours are designed with participant’s safety in mind. Participants are given individual attention. Our guides have long hiking experience and are fully First Aid and CPR certified. During any given tour, a Medical Associate from Diagnostiki Naxou is always on standby duty for any medical or other emergencies. If you are over 70 years or if you had a recent medical issue, please be sure that you have already consulted your doctor, prior to your booking arrangement.
Terms & ConditionsThese conditions are valid from 1.6.2016 These Terms and Conditions govern the relationship between you (the Guest) and us, Naxos Trekking (the Company). By booking a tour, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. They outline, among other points, our cancellation policy and certain limitations of liability. These terms affect your rights to sue forum, and jurisdiction; please be sure to carefully read these terms and make sure you understand your rights and obligations and our rights and obligations. PARTICIPANTS Naxos Trekking reserves the right to refuse participation prior to or during a trip to any individual whose behavior and/or attitude interfere with the general enjoyment and well-being of other tour members and if anyone, participant or Naxos Trekking staff, is endangered by this individual. In case any of the above mentioned happens Naxos Trekking will not be liable to refund or pay any compensations as such. In no case Naxos Trekking is liable to refund for unused services. BOOKING Every customer can choose the date of the hike/tour and the hiking route. Naxos Trekking will confirm the inquiry and will inform about the availability. Every customer should provide correct information at the booking form. When the booking is complete and the deposit is received, the customer will receive a payment confirmation email. RATES All rates are quoted in Euro and include all the taxes. Rates are subject to changes without notice. Clients with a confirmed booking will not pay the difference in case of price increase, Naxos Trekking will not refund in case of price reduction. Gratuity, personal expenses or personal insurance is not included in the rates. Admission to museums and archaeological sites requires an extra cost and it is included in the rates. PAYMENT POLICY An advance full payment of the hike/tour is necessary to book the hike/tour of your preference, paid via Bank money transfer, Paypal or via Credit card. CREDIT CARDS accepted: Visa, Mastercard. IBAN: GR 27 0140 6200 6200 0200 2013 750 In case you cancel your booking, cancellation fees are as follows: CANCELLATION POLICY
- 50% of the total cost of the hike/tour will be refunded, if we are informed: less than 1 week before the hiking date in Low Season less than 2 weeks before the hiking date in High Season
- In case of last minute cancellation (within 48 hours from your tour), non show, not arrive on time on the meeting point, or non complete route on client’s request, the payment is not refunded. Low season: 1st of April to 30th of June & 1st of September to 30th of November High season: 1st of July to 31st of August
- In case of cancellation due to weather conditions or reasons that concern Naxos Trekking Company, your payment will be fully refunded.